Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My First Day

You know the feeling you get when you’re so nervous, it seems like your stomach is actually twisting in upon itself? That’s the feeling I woke up with at six this morning. And I hate being nervous. Part of the reason I’ve never cheated on my husband is because of that very fact: I like predictability. A room full of strangers is the antithesis of control.


“But Christina,” I say to myself, “you’ve closed million dollar deals and once had a job as a tour guide for an entire summer. This is nothing. These are just eighteen year-olds who are probably more nervous than you about being called upon. It’s their first day of college. You’ve got experience--expertise, even. AND, you’re their teacher, which means you have the power.”


Right, I have the power. Why isn’t this churning going away then? All I really have to do today is go over the syllabus and assign a required diagnostic essay to find out if everyone in class speaks English fluently enough to discuss the following: Discuss the advice people have given you for your first day of college. What advice will you probably take and why? What will you discard and why? Write a 600-800 word double spaced essay and hand in Thursday.


I got this. Or, I’ll have this. Maybe a little yoga will help...

2 comments:

  1. See, for me, I just don't know that I want to teach right now, but I -do- want to write. Looks like a lot of CW people seem to be teaching now, though. After a summer of writing and editing, this week I start looking for a job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with that! What are you thinking of doing?

    ReplyDelete