Monday, September 7, 2009

The Beginning


That’s me, on the left, New Year’s Eve, 2009. It was literally days after I had heard that my business and my partnership were essentially over. I don’t want to go into the details right now, except to say that I felt betrayed; that I had wasted six years of my life on someone else’s dream.


I know what you’re thinking, “but it’s September. Why are you dwelling on something that happened eight months ago?”


Because that was the beginning, and the beginning is where all stories must start. Anyway, I put all my energy into going back to school and getting my Master’s degree in creative writing. AND I decided that the only way I could make a living at this writing thing would be to teach.


Over the summer, I was hired to mentor 23 English 100 students and just last Friday, I got a job teaching 20 students English 1100! “Lucky you,” you might be thinking, but I’m also taking three other classes, and wondering how I’m going to have the time to do everything well.


One of those classes, “Theory and Practice of Teaching Composition,” is all about how to teach. So, I’m thinking about teaching and about to start practicing the daunting art of holding the attention of forty-three eighteen year-olds.

Hopefully, while I’m chewing gum and walking at the same time, I’ll also have time to write (which is the point of it all). So, here it is: my experiment in living, giving, and hoping to have the time to exhale and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment